Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trademarkia Post Pubcon Trademark Highlights

Trademarkia Blog: Nintendo Files Trademark Application for It's On Like Donkey Kong
F the Facebook map pin?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week, I went to Pubcon 2010, a Las Vegas Internet Conference about Search, Social Media, Internet Marketing and Website Operation. This conference was the epitome of ironic. Let me explain...
  • Flew on Virgin Airlines...for the first time...to a conference that I have never attended before.
  • 10th year anniversary of a conference that originally met in a pub, I probably didn't even understand the concept of alcohol back then.
  • Lost my name badge in Vegas...sober.
  • I have business cards with my twitter handles on them, however I couldn't attend some of the tweetups because of Las Vegas age restrictions at clubs.
Okay okay, all chides at my age. Yes, I was probably the youngest person in attendance, and yes it was intimidating, but who doesn't get a little nervous at these kind of events? I was very thankful for the opportunity to represent www.Trademarkia.com and learn from all the wonderful speakers and attendees. The first and hopefully not the last Pubcon!

Monday

  • Ran into Tony Wright (@tonynwright) and Shilpa Nicodemus (@shilpanicodemus) of Wright IMC on the first day "tweetup". Tony spoke and moderated six Pubcon sessions! 
  • Informed a few individuals that they received Office Action letter's on their trademarks...don't they have lawyers that are supposed to tell them?
  • Personal note: Ate YUM sushi and watched a Cirque du Soleil show. 

Tuesday

Wednesday

















Thursday

  • Because I am a Dummy, I bought Search Engine Optimization for Dummies :D
  • Tim Mayer Keynote: "The future of search is prediction and suggestion" i.e. Google Instant
  • Sean Jackson from Copyblogger Media (@seanthinks) quoted Theodore Roosevelt, "There is no effort without error and shortcomings".
  • Learned about Blekko, the new slashtag search engine.
  • Started editing Facebook custom tabs for Trademarkia fan page. Added Deals and Services tabs.

Quick Tips...

  • Just because your not an expert, doesn't make you any less qualified to attend, we are all here to learn!
  • If you are a women, don't pack heels, pack shoes you KNOW you will be comfortable in for 10 hours. And perhaps 1-2 extra pairs of stockings in case yours' rip from all the walking...
  • If you have a one sided bag/purse, SWITCH SIDES or else you may get blisters on the feet that holds the most work.
  • If you are a coworker (*ahem* Cliff *ahem*) don't forget your toothbrush and floss
  • If you are a klutz like me, don't lose your name badge!
  • Don't forget to follow the #pubcon twitter stream!

Food For Thought...

  1. A few people suggested I change my title from "Publicity and Media Relations" to something else. I can easily do that when this batch of business cards runs out, however I wear a lot of "hats" and it's hard to classify or constrain what I do... I do social media monitoring/marketing, content writing (blog, newsletter, press releases..), public relations,....what title fits all of that?
  2. Is it just me or do a lot of popular pubcon speakers have really short names? I have three syllabules just in my FIRST name! "Maria" is probably the most popular name EVER, and "Orlova" is surprisingly common as well. And if you search for me, Google will try and ask you "Did you mean: marina orlova"? Thank you Google, I understand our names are SUPER similar, but I am not an etymologist, nor am I Hotforwords.

More reading...

*Quick Tip* Scott Cowley (@scottcowley) has great recaps of the events. Also SearchEngineLand.com has a big recap.

-------------------------------------------------------
Facebook Pubcon 2010 photo album.
---------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Maria! In this business, it doesn't matter how old you are - you're living proof of that. Keep it up!

    I'm glad to see you picked up SEO for Dummies. That's exactly how I got started. I read the book and even though it skimmed the surface in a lot of areas, it provided the foundation I needed. My wife would even create quizzes for me based on the chapters so I could learn and remember better. I found that once I finished the book, I could build on my knowledge by reading blog posts.

    Thanks for the write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott for the comment :) I love the for Dummies series! The books are always so well organized and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete